Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day 9


It was probably the hardest thing I had to do growing up. Draw the entire world. How do you ask that of a child? The entire world? I couldn't even fathom what the whole block was, how did Ms. Rothstein wanted me to draw the entire world?
I went home on a Friday afternoon, completely devastated. I knew I would have to spend the entire weekend and probably buy every single crayon imaginable to complete that impossible task.
I told my mom what was ahead of me, on the verge of tears, and she smiled and handed me a globe and said "this is reference. Do your best". I stood there, holding the globe, not understanding what she meant by 'reference'. Wasn't that a globe?
I ran upstairs, dragging the reference with me and sat at my desk.
I got the biggest piece of paper I could find and started outlining the continents.
So many of them! So many turns and knacks!
After what felt like an eternity, I could start coloring. Since my sister wasn't home, I sneaked into her bedroom and borrowed (without her consent) her box of coloring pencils.
I looked for the brightest blue I could find and start coloring the oceans, which took me almost a whole hour of hard labor.
It was a masterpiece. I wanted it framed and put on my wall. I wanted to run down the street holding it up and scream "Look! Look! This is the most beautiful thing you'll ever see!". I fought the urge to show it to my mom because I wanted to bring it back with a huge A+ written on it. The rewards would be sweet!
I couldn't sleep out of sheer excitement on Sunday night. It would be the very first time I would get an A in school and I was overjoyed with the possibilities. After the first A, everything would be a lot easier!
I had the drawing with me on the bus and didn't show to anyone, since I wasn't someone to brag.
When it came to Ms. Rothstein's class, I held my hand as high as I could so I would be the first pick. Obviously, she chose Andy Keenan, that brown noser. But I was second to show, and Andy's drawing had nothing on mine.
I stood up, proud as a peacock, and handed my drawing to Ms. Rothstein. She looked very serious for a while, looking up from the drawing directly at me and back at the drawing.
Then she said, in a terrible tone "Is this supposed to be a joke?" and turned the drawing to the class. Everyone laughed.
I couldn't understand what was wrong! Everything was perfect! All the countries were there, everything,every piece of land, even Antarctica, and the ocean was the purest blue!
All I could mumble was "What's wrong?" while looking at the floor. Ms. Rothstein wrote a gigantic F on my drawing and said "This oughta teach you a lesson next time you decide to paint the oceans green!"
It was a bad day to find out I was color blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment