Thursday, November 24, 2011
day 1
When the phone hit the pavement I felt like it was the end of everything. The end of something that should've been great. The end of what could've been.
I picked the pieces but knew it wouldn't matter. It was a smartphone, but not smart enough to survive a drop.
Running from the rain, I went back the three blocks to the cafe where what ended had started.
I sat at the same table overlooking the lake and ordered a peppermint mocha just because it was that time of year. You know, when you should be with your family, loved ones, people that cared.
But the family was gone and so were loved ones.
I put the pieces of that high tech puzzle on the table in front of me on a childish attempt to put it back together. All I needed was a number. 7 digits that could save my life. A connection to a beautiful smile and a kind heart. But it was far beyond prayer. Phones aren't very religious.
As I drank my mocha, considering how drenched I would get by walking in
the rain to my apartment, the little bell on the door rang.
I turned my head slightly, not paying much attention, and froze.
Suddenly everything made sense and as cheesy as it may sound, some clouds dissipated and I could the see the blueish winter sky through the cafe's windows.
She walked in, grabbed her umbrella, thanked the server and turned around to leave.
I sprinted towards her, spilling my drink and caught her right outside the cafe door. When she recognized me, her smile greeted me and before she could formulate anything i kissed her like there was no other thing I'd rather do, maybe because there wasn't.
After catching her breath she said " I thought you said you'd call".
"I felt like being more direct.", said I, smiling as if I had won the lottery, which I had.
She laughed and blushed, and said "ok, now you HAVE to call me".
I took her arm and said "sure, just walk with me to the nearest cellphone shop".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment